Food and Beverage manufacturers are striving to meet more stringent quality standards. By treating liquid sugar (often referred to as sugar syrups) with ultra-violet light, producers can achieve their treatment goals without the risk of discoloring or changing the taste of their products. Trojan Technologies is a leader in liquid sugar UV treatment.
If untreated, microorganisms for in liquid sugar can cause food discoloration, adverse flavors, undesired odors and reduced product shelf-life. The utility of UV treatment is further increased as manufacturers respond to consumer demand for reduction in additives and preservatives.
How UV Treatment Works:
UV treats microorganisms by penetrating their cell membranes and damaging the DNA, making them unable to reproduce, inactivating them.
- UV is able to treat a wide range of microorganisms, including those that are tolerant to pasteurization.
- UV treatment will typically hit treatment targets in a single pass.
- Trojan Technologies UV systems have been successfully installed on liquid sugar applications by leading brands including AB InBev, Refresco, Coca-Cola and Pepsi.
UV Liquid Sugar Treatment vs Thermal Pasteurization
Thermal treatment is often applied during the production of sugar syrups to eliminate microorganisms. For those products that can tolerate the temperature, heat pasteurization may be an option. However, heat pasteurization also has drawbacks.
- Thermal treatment can lead to caramelization and a Maillard reaction which produces undesirable colors and aromas in liquid sugar syrup
- UV is less energy intensive than thermal treatment, meaning UV is less expensive to operate
- Heat pasteurization often has a larger footprint than UV Systems
- Thermal treatment of liquid sugars can lead to formation of potential carcinogens such as Hydroxymethylfurfural (5-HMF). UV does not produce 5-HMF.
Trojan Technologies has been a pioneer and an industry leader in UV systems since 1977. We enable customers to meet their objectives by providing efficient solutions that help to reduce and recover costs, energy, resources and space. Collaboratively solving problems with our customers, we deliver low-risk, innovative technologies that offer dependable results.
If you’re looking for more information on liquid sugar uv treatment, reach out to our team today.